My latest project is the design, build and makeover of the two front rooms of this gorgeous, Victorian home in Essex.
Having moved recently to the property, clients, Ross and Leanne and there two small children, wanted me to transform both rooms and provide them with a new family/TV room and also a new more grown up room for entertaining !
I have loved working on this project and spent last week with my builder Alex transforming the spaces, while the family were on holiday.
Here are the results…. firstly the more grown up Sitting Room.
For this room I wanted to create a glamorous, but also relaxed feel. It was very important to the client that I recycle as much of their existing furniture and pieces as possible and then add vintage and up cycled finds to the interior. I used the pink of the juke box and the fluoro print above the sofa as inspiration. Both rooms had already been newly painted in fresh off white and so to update that and to add depth, I used Little Green’s ‘Basalt’ paint on the fireplace wall.
Alex built shelves in the chimney breast alcoves, to use for record and CD storage above the juke box and for drinks and glassware above the bar cupboard, bought locally from eBay.
The purple velvet sofa was already in the room and worked with the scheme and to add more seating I recovered an ebay sofa in navy linen and denim as well as a tired, but favourite chair of Ross’s.
Alex made the two large floor lamps to my design, from a very ancient and discarded gatepost that I spotted in Leanne and Ross’s garden.
I used a kilim rug (also from ebay) to add texture and another dimension to the space and then a bamboo and glass, central coffee table, painted black gloss to anchor the rug.
I picked up the side tables and smaller items from vintage shops and also made new cushions for the sofa from denim offcuts, which I bleached with a circle design.
And now the Family Room
This was such a fun scheme to create.
First, we took the original brown, velvet corner sofa, chopped one end off and created two new pieces; a new longer three seater as well as a new single seater, which both fit much more comfortably in the space. I used black and white striped fabric and a throw of the clients from Mexico to recover the ends and some of the seat cushions. I chose these fabrics to add colour and pattern. I also dyed some of the original brown fabric black, using Dylon washing machine dye.
We made two small side tables for the ends of the sofa, using frame pieces left from the GIDC TV show in Bath (you may recognise them from the shelving unit) and customised a vintage plan chest as a central coffee table. Perfect for the kids to use as a drawing table and also to store their toys in underneath. We updated the table lamps in the room by adding new shades and Alex customised an existing metal light by giving it a new heavy wooden base, using the offcuts from the old fence post! Genius!
I gave the existing rug and carpet a really good clean and hung the artworks.
Have still got to finish the curtains with a bright border, and add a padded seat to the toy box to make a new window seat. Am thinking of painting one of the walls a strong orange or pink to inject more colour and warmth.
Ross and Leanne have already asked me back to start designs for the hall, stairs and landing….. so watch this space.
Tomorrow I start a new mural for The Church Street Tavern, Restaurant and Bar, so will keep you posted about that too…..exciting times